Friday, November 7, 2008

Tours, France

I have successfully made it to Tours although it was a bit of an ordeal seeing as how some of the French train employees were on strike. I left for Lyon at 10am and got there in plenty of time to get on the 1:26 train that I was supposed to get on in order to make it to Tours at 4:30. I was going to have to make one other train switch just outside of Tours, but it was going to be very easy. I wasn't able to buy all of my train reservations in Geneva like I had planned so when I got to Lyon my first order of business was to find the ticket office. This is when I discovered the strike occurring.

The line in the ticket office was the longest I had seen since Barcelona, but I knew I had no other option, so I started to wait. When I finally got to the front of the line, the train I was trying to catch left in 5 minutes. I did my best to hurry along the reservation process and run to get the train but as I got to the top of the stairs on the platform the train was closing its doors and pulling out of the station. Set back number 1, achieved.

The next step was to go back into the ticket office, wait in the line again, and find another train to get me to Tours. This time the line was a little shorter, but once I was to the front of I was informed the next way from me to get to Tours was a train to Paris-a train that left in three hours at 5pm. So I started to wait. Finally the three hours had passed and I got on the train to Paris. Now, set back number 2. The train to Paris was half an hour late arriving. I did have about an hour between arrival and departure but I didn't mention yet that I was going to have to switch stations in Paris. Switching terminals at an airport is one thing, but in Paris I was going to have to use the metro (switching lines at one point) in order to get my train to Tours. Having an hour would have been great but with the late train I only had about 30 minutes. At first I couldn't find the metro because it ended up being a much larger station than I had anticipated. But I ended up making it to the other station, hopping on my train just as it closed its doors. Amazing!

I was scheduled to arrive in Tours just after 10pm and according to the directions I had to the hotel, it was a ten minute walk from the station so I would arrive at the hotel right around 10:30. Just in time for a great night's sleep. Finally, set back number 3. I made it all the way from the train station to my hotel (which in Tours is actually a hotel and not a hostel) only to discover that my hotel was closed. I rang the bell a number of times in hopes that someone might still be there but to no avail. Finally I decided to walk down the block to the hotel that appeared to still be open, although it was also a hotel that also cost 4 times my budget. Somehow my hotel had made me a reservation there and had paid for my stay there. So in the end, all of the set backs I was confronted with ended with a "free" night stay in a three star hotel with a private room with a private bath... amazing. Today I ended up taking the opportunity to simply enjoy a relaxing day and catch up on some much needed rest.

No comments: