Saturday, November 15, 2008

London and the Lost Debit Card

Other than the debit card fiasco, which I guess was bound to happen at some point, I have been having a great time in London. So far I have done a different show every night. Billy Elliot, La Cage, We Will Rock You, and last night a show at the National Theatre called To Be Straight With You.

That show was an incredible piece of artwork, and seemed to have an amazing impact on the full house. The show didn't get a full standing ovation, but I think that is due to the fact that the bows were not choreographed/staged in such a way that would encourage the audience to stand. (Although, I was up on my feet as soon as the curtain fell. It was a wonderful display, unlike We Will Rock You, of how technology can dramatically enhance the theatre experience. At one point, an actor was lit using the massive projector while delivering a very touching monolouge and at first, being the lighting designer that I am, I questioned the reasoning for using the projector to do this. Suddenly, though, as the monologue was finishing, they did this incredible effect with the projector where they started blacking out his face and then the rest of his body, so he almost completely disappeared. At that point I knew why the choice was made by the lighting designer. I was really touched by the show, and creatively sparked by the fantastic use of design elements.

After the show, Chris, Shelley's friend who had decided to accompany me to the show and I went out for a drink at a nearby bar. Maybe that is where I lost my card, when I got out my wallet to pay for my drink, but that is a usless subject to discuss at this point. It's lost, it's cancelled, and now I just have to figure out how to get the new one to myself. It shouldn't be too hard, I will just have to make a few travel sacrafices. And this will encourage me to be much more sparing with my money, which is definitely a good thing. If only I could apply for a work visa for the UK while I am over here, then I could just stay indefinitely as long as I had a job. But I guess that would mean I miss out on the rest of my trip, which for the most part I have already paid for. Do you think I can get a refund? LOL.

I will be sad to leave London, whenever that may be. It has been so much fun here, and such a great thing for me. Luckily, as well, I haven't had too terrible a weather while I have been here. My plan, up until now, was to head to Brussels tomorrow, but once I figure out about my card, I will be able to make a more accurate and informed decision on what to do and where to go.

No comments: