Saturday, November 1, 2008

Bern, Switzerland via Zurich

I spent one night in Zurich and saw a few of the sights.

I have made it to Bern and having a good time. Yesterday I did a little bit of walking around, tried to go to the Swiss Theatre Museum but I was closed when I finally got there. I am however getting used to walking up and down hills. I decided to not have a crazy Halloween. Instead I stayed in the hostel and caught up on some much needed reading and sleep. I did "crash" the party that was going on in the hostel. Three men were having a joint birthday party, so after the festivities had died down a bit, I snuck in and had a slice of birthday cake. I don't think anyone noticed or cared since there were three cakes and all three of them were only half eaten.

Today I got up and did the recommended walking tour of Bern and got to see the Bear Pit. There was only one bear in the pit, but boy was he entertaining. They must train him to pose for pictures. I was expecting more bears to be there, though. With a name like "Bear Pit" I was expecting to see a violent amount of bears in the pit, you know something that PETA would protest against. I also got to see the big clock tower in the center of town.

I have discovered that I am a big fan of Swiss food. Yesterday I ate at one traditional Swiss restaurant and had a dish that I cannot name but describe simply as what God would eat for breakfast. It was hashbrowns covered with cheese, topped with a mixture of fried onions and cubed ham, and finished with a sunny side up egg capping the mass of food. I thought it was going to be a rice dish because it looked like rossetti but I was not disappointed in the least. I only wish the dish had been a bit more colorful because they say the more colorful the food the better it is for you. I wanted it to taste exactly the same, but with a little green, blue, and magenta or something, to make it healthier somehow. The dish was so good and relatively cheap that I returned today to sample another platter. Today's choice was Veal Sausage, also amazing, I just wasn't loving the gravy that it was covered in, a bit too sweet for my sensitive palette.

Tonight I am going to the Municipal Theatre to see some show in Swiss. I am not really sure what it is called and have no idea what the show is about, but the guy at the ticket office recommended it. I am excited to have a night filled with culture. I took an extra special bath for it! One always needs a good reason to take a long bath. I just recommend long showers in a place where the water doesn't turn off every 5 seconds requiring you to keep one hand close to the button in order to press it every 2 seconds or so. LOL. It always makes me giggle a bit when the showers function the way most public sinks do and the sinks function in a normal, constantly on, fashion. It just seems a little backward to me.

Well, I am off to the Theatre. I sound so much more aristocratic when I say that but you have to remember I am going in cloths that I have worn three days in a row, so it is not so fashionable. Hopefully the person in the next seat can't tell.

No comments: