Thursday, November 20, 2008

Brussels, Belgium

I have been having a great time in Brussels and have made arrangements to meet up with my friend Meike in Leiden tomorrow so I will be able to get to see her. It will be a blast catching up with her since I haven't seen her in over a year.

Brussels is beautiful and a lot smaller than I thought. So many people have told me that Brussels is a bore, but I really haven't seen the boring side of the city. I guess it is because I met these two really fun Brazilian guys my first night in the city. They have both been living here for quite some time, Claudio 20 years and Tarcisio for 10 years. Claudio is a contemporary dance choreographer with his own dance company in Brussels and Tarcisio is an architect/retail manager. The two of them have helped show me around Brussels when they aren't working, and treated me to some traditional Brazilian food the other night. It wasn't a bunch of guys walking around with kebabs of meat either. They told me that was more of a Southern Brazilian tradition.

I got to see the famous statue Manneken-Pis, the statue of the little boy peeing. Seeing famous pieces of art for the first time is always such a weird experience because I walked around for hours trying to find the statue of the little boy only to realize that I had passed it several times. The statue itself is about the size of a cabbage-patch doll and situated in a small street corner fountain. I had been looking for it in main plazas, but was sadly mistaken.

I have really had a great time in Brussels, I guess it all depends on who you meet.

No comments: