Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Cologne, Germany

I had a fun night last night with a couple of Kiwi girls from my hostel last night. As soon as I was finished writing my last e-mail, they invited me up to their room for a calm night in. I hope you have seen the cell phone commercial where the guy is sitting in a hostel in Europe while his inner monologue describes his devastation over not having cell service and being stranded with the "techno twins." Last night the four of us, including several other guys staying in their room, were definitely reenacting that commercial. It wasn't techno music but there was a bit of Queen involved while we all danced around serenading each other with "bohemian rhapsody." It was a lot of fun.

Today was a normal, stressful and unpredictable day of travel. The train that I wanted to take from Amsterdam to Cologne was supposed to leave from the central Amsterdam train station but had been switched to another smaller station for some reason. Because of that, I didn't get on the train that I wanted to get on but was informed that another train left two hours later. So I hoped on the metro to the other station to wait for the 2:41 train. Unfortunately, though, as the time drew closer and no notice of that train was posted, I asked the information kiosk about it. I was told there that there was in fact not a 2:41 train. The next one left at 4:41. So I sat around for another 2 hours waiting. But, I was able to finish another book while I waited, which was fun.

I have made it to Cologne and found a place to stay for two nights. I am going to check tomorrow on buses and the option of a train back to London. There seems to be a fun way to get back to London via train and ferry. I am going to check into how much that will cost me. So far I am very impressed with Cologne. There is a big dome here that looks like a sports arena dedicated to professional musical theatre. It is really an impressive building, I was just turned off when I realized it was now the home to "We Will Rock You." I think that show will follow me to the grave. Happy Thanksgiving Eve.

No comments: