Sunday, November 2, 2008

Lausanne, Switzerland

Things are going well in Switzerland. I made it to Lausanne this afternoon, and decided (Since it is a bit of a bus ride back to town) to enjoy a calm, peaceful afternoon. The hostel is very near the lake, so I got out my book, walked to the beach and sat for much of the afternoon reading and enjoying the view of the misty Alps reigning over the glassy water. It was perfect! The weather here, now that I am out of the mountains, is much warmer making it possible for me to return to my loving flip-flops while I walked.

I am not, however, in love with Swiss hostels. There is sort of a monopoly of sorts over youth hostels in Switzerland. They are all operated or members of Youth Hostels International. Basically it means that they are all HUGE, have a restaurant, and are more expensive than normal hostels. The thing is that, because of their size, they are really popular with family vacationers so there are lots of small children around. This tends to make it a bit harder to meet people. But I am simply using this solace to enjoy the view, observing more than participating. Which on the up side is also a lot cheaper than participating. It is also nice to have a couple of lazy days in a row...it is almost a vacation within a vacation. Although, I have stopped using the word "vacation" when I describe my travels. This trip is less about time off and more about opening up to new discoveries and ideas. I just don't think I will ever grow to accept cooked mushrooms, though. I eat them, but not with great pleasure, hell without any pleasure. Even in my most starved moments, I look at cooked mushrooms on a pizza and think "I need the nutrients, but I will never be able to desire that texture." Alas, why I only eat mushrooms in salads when home.

I only have a few more chapters left in the book I am reading, "Random Acts of Heroic Love," given to me by Jules in Poland. I think I will try to finish it tonight before bed. I believe that is the 4th book I have finished on this trip. Not too bad for someone that can barely make it through a "Where's Waldo" without shelving it.

On Tuesday I am meeting up with a friend living in Geneva, so I get two free nights of accommodation there... YAH!!!

Here are some pictures from earlier stops.
From atop on of the spires at Sagrada Familia in Barcelona

Nadia and Ariane, from Canada, in Italy trying to enjoy the beach on a rainy day
Realto Bridge in Venice

Skyline of Zagreb
Jules pumping water out of a public well in Warsaw
Parliament in Budapest

St James Church in PragueThe Charles Bridge in Prague. Taken from my boat tour.
Me with one of the members of the Viennese Boys Choir. Trying to decide what to eat for brunch in Vienna. I had the club sandwich, safe and delicious.Hoppsburg's Winter Palace in Vienna. You might recognize the big balcony in the center as where Hitler delivered his first public speech in Austria
Me standing at the top of the Spanish Steps in Rome
Inside the Pantheon in Rome
The Floor of the Pantheon (Inserted for nostalgia)

No comments: