Saturday, September 27, 2008

My First Evening in Zagreb, Croatia

Well most of today I spent in bed, exhausted. I do think Venice is one of those places where you need to see once in a life time, but if you are really in need of a gondola ride, I would say just go to Vegas and do it a little cheaper with a guy that sings, at the Venetian.

I have done a little walking around Zagreb today, it is a really beautiful and life filled city (Apart from at 4 am when everyone who is smart is in bed). I am staying in a great little hostel right near the main square of the city. The two guys that run it are former backpackers from Zagreb, who saw a lack of quality hostels in the city. They are a lot of fun and very accommodating. In fact a group of Australians showed up tonight, and they only had 4 beds for the 6 people, so they pulled out some extra mattresses and let a couple of them sleep on the floor next to me. They bought me a beer at the bar downstairs for being so good about it.

Croatia is really trying to improve their tourism market. All over the place are posters advertising Croatia as "stress relief." So far I get that. It is a very laid back city, everyone is always at the bar. In fact, they start the day with a beer in hand. It is sort of a Croatian equivalent to coffee. Croatia is also very cheap compared to the rest of the European Nations. 10kuna is equal to 2 US dollars. For 10 dollars tonight I had a great chicken risotto, bread, and two cokes at a local restaurant.

Well I am going to try and hit the hay early tonight, even though it is Saturday, so that I can sort of catch up on my last bit of sleep that I missed. I am no longer taking the advice of not to get a sleeping car on overnight trains. Greg, the violin player in Venice, warned me against it saying he knew a guy who had done the sleeping car on a train in Croatia and been held up by train robbers. I think I will just carry light cash when sleeping in the car.

No comments: