Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Cinque Terre, Italy

There is no Wifi in the hostel that I am staying in and there is only one computer with internet. Plus, there is a $0.50 charge for every ten minutes that you use it, so I am typing as fast as my little fingers can keep up.

Tonight is my last night in Cinque Terre. I have LOVED it here. Tell Chris Caver that she better have had something really important to do this summer to have missed this place. I highly recommend it for a tourist.

It is a place covering a lot of land with these five small coastal cities weaved into the hillsides. The geography is incredible-one of the most beautiful places that I have ever seen. All of the towns are connected via a train and all of these little paths. As you get farther away from the big town, Riomaggori, the paths get harder and harder. On the first day I started in Riomaggori walking, and by that time I got to the fourth city, Vernneza, I was soaked to the bone with rain even though I was in my rain slicks, and tired beyond belief, so I got the train back to Riomaggori and hit the hay early.

I met up with Simone from Nice here, so today she, this guy Roberto from Brazil, and I walked all of Cinque Terre together. It was fantastic. We started with the hard stuff and then finished with the easy things. In the last city we stopped, we swam amongst these huge boulders in the clear blue Mediterranean. It was the perfect way to end a day of heavy hiking. We followed up the dip in what I now refer to as "my pool" with dinner in the second city and enjoyed the wonderful fresh seafood.

I should really run, because people are waiting to use the one computer. Tomorrow I head to Venice. I’m staying in a camping site/ hostel. It sounds like a lot of fun and easy to get to with the private shuttle from the train station.

No comments: