Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Headed to Nice France

Wednesday, September 17, 2008
Well, by the time you read this I will be on the train to Montpellier, I wasn't able to get on the 8:45 train to Nice, so I am going to Montpellier for the night, and then heading to Nice tomorrow morning from there. I think I will just sleep at the train station since I am finding it difficult to find a hostel there, but I will also ask at the train station about accommodations.

Wednesday, September 17, 2008
Well I have made it to Montpellier (Not pronounced like the capital of Vermont). It seems on this trip like all of the catastrophes lead to some really amazing experiences. I missed the train to Nice by seconds, it was pulling out of Estacio de Franca as I was running (with pack and camera bag) up to the ticket window. If only I wasn't so slow walking through the metro stations weighted down with all of my gear. But after I was turned away from the ticket counter and sat defeated on the floor of the station in the corner, I pulled out my map of Europe and decided I was going to go somewhere today. That is when Montpellier jumped off the map and into my dreams. I walked very hesitantly back to the ticket counter and asked if there were any trains going to Montpellier that day. The clerk in broken English said, "At 4:42 this afternoon from the other station." I replied, "Well get me a seat on that train." As he handed me my ticket he again pointed out that I had to go to Estacio Sants Barcelona, which is where my hostel was, so had the train to Nice been from there, I would have made it with time to spare. But alas.

I spent most of the day back in the hostel I had just checked out of, because I knew they had free internet. I did as much research as I could on a place to stay in Montpellier but because I was trying to book a hotel/hostel same day over the internet, I had very little luck. After a few worthless attempts I went on YouTube and discovered a lovely young talent on Broadway by the name of Natalie Weiss (check her out). Finally I decided to go Estacio Sants to wait for my train. I would like to point out now, that there is also a Montpellier station in the UK somewhere, so when I was checking to see trains from Montpellier to Nice, the schedule was saying it would take 24 hours and a good swim. I got extremely worried for about 5 minutes thinking that I had somehow let this Spanish ticket clerk book me on a train to the UK. I digress though. Once I made it to the train station I had some delicious McDonald's for lunch, and wandered around for a while. (Recommendation for those traveling by train out of Estacio Sants in Barcelona, go somewhere else to use the restroom, unless you have a strange affinity for using a stainless steel vortex as a toilet.) Finally it came time for me to get on my train, or at least go through "security." While waiting to board my train I met a lovely couple from England who were heading back to Montpellier after an overnight trip to Barcelona. They raved about Montpellier so I started to get a little curious. I was just considering it a city where I would stop before going to the place I really wanted to go. Well the train was an hour late, but late trains make for conversation, so I met a guy from Portland headed to a wedding, and a kid from Brussels who had studied in Cape Cod for a semester. Finally the train showed its sad face. There was never any announcement or posting that our train was late, so for a bit everyone was scared we had missed our train, and all the platform staff would do is show us ten fingers which we took, several times, as them saying the train will be here in 10 minutes. At one point a train showed up and people got off and a bunch of us jumped on to get our seats and find a close place for our bags until the stewards came running through trying to scream "This is not your train, GET OFF!!!" Quite eventful for a lousy train. But it did finally arrive and whisk us off to Montpellier, by way of a dozen or so other little towns.

Needless to say, 5 hours later I was in Montpellier. No town deserves to be this magical. As soon as I walked out of the Gare Santa Roch, I was overcome with this incredible sense of calm and joy. Apparently it is a small university town, but it is full of life, charm, and wonderful people. The room I got, while a bit over my budget, is a wonderful oasis. An incredible departure from the other places I have stayed. My room has a king sized bed, private shower, shared toilet, and a balcony over looking the center of town. The center is a beautiful square lined with cafes and gorgeous architecture. I am sad I have only allotted one night for this Utopia, I believe I will be coming back at some point, hopefully when my French is a little better. Tomorrow I finally make it to Nice on the 10:08am train so I will head to bed soon, it is almost midnight here, but I can't help but desire to walk around this town all night.
Bon Soir, Mark

No comments: