Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Snowy Berlin

I just got off the phone with the people at American Airlines RTW, and I am booked on a flight on December the 9th from Frankfurt to Singapore. That way I can get to Southeast Asia but only go to places not in political unrest. Plus it is a non-stop flight, so I don't have to go back to London for any reason.

I am enjoying Berlin. I just think I will come back again in the summer. While the Christmas markets are beautiful and lovely, it just stinks that it is so miserably cold and snowy. I went of a tour of "Alternative Berlin" today, seeing all of the squatter buildings, underground art, and street art. It was a lot of fun but the 3 hours outside walking in the bitter cold were a challenge. It does make one's nice warm hostel that much more inviting. I just think I would have a lot more fun here if I was able to do it in weather that wasn't forcing me back indoors all the time. Even rain is better than biting snow. This has taught me that I should probably only move to a new city during warmer months when I am able to get out and enjoy what I discover, instead of staying indoors waiting it out.

Things are good though, feeling better, just going a little slower the past couple of days, which is fine. Today was definitely a day to sit inside, enjoy a good book while drinking hot cocoa, so I guess it is a good sign that I braved the cold to get out and discover a bit.

Later,
Due to the extra day that I will get in Europe I have extended my stay in Berlin for an extra day, so I will get a total of five nights in the city.

The snow is not sticking to the ground but cold is cold to me at this point. With Southeast Asia just a week away, I am getting antsy to get some warmer weather. I think this is just God's way of making sure that the warmer weather is extra special once I do get there. I was able, though, to brave the weather this evening and spend a couple of hours wandering around one of the HUGE Christmas markets in Berlin. Apparently Berliners are really big Christmas people, so there are about 15 Christmas markets around the city, each featuring a mixture of local food, crafts, and carnival rides. The markets aren't difficult to find seeing as how most of them are highlighted by huge ferris wheels, and I mean huge. The one at the market I went to tonight must have been 20 stories tall. Not small when you consider that it is a temporary structure only erected for the market.

The evening was filled with American Christmas Carols, flashing lights, and the smells of 1/2 meter long bratwurst cooking on the grill. I don't think you can be anything but happy when you walk around a place like that. Plus, I don't think most of the "fun houses" are Christmas theme, so the carnies simply wrapped many of the figures in Santa Claus coats to give it that Christmas charm.

Berlin is lovely, "poor but sexy" as the mayor put it so eloquently.

No comments: