Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Loving Singapore

Things are going great in Singapore. Really enjoying every minute of it.

I went to the Singapore zoo today with the daughter of one of Kim's friends. Kelly, the daughter, is getting her degree in musical theatre from Lindenwood University, also in St Louis. It has been fun getting to know Kelly, she is a riot.

I feel like such an old fart here (but love it) because I am up fairly early by my standards, 8am, so I haven't really had any interest in going out late at night. When the kids head to bed, I feel like it is time for me to start heading that way too. Although, Kim and I usually have a Bailey's Irish Coffee and a long talk while we are closing up shop for the night.

After Kelly and I went to the zoo, we headed over to Chinatown and did a little bit of souvenir shopping for me and cloths shopping for her. After walking around the amazing market for a little while and gawking over the incredible swarm of old Asian guys playing chinese checkers in the courtyard, we had lunch at one of the local hawker stands. Hawker stands are a really big thing in Singapore, and I guess throughout Southeast Asia. It is a place lined with different kinds of little food stands so you can get a little bit of everything (including chicken feet) and eat it all for really cheap. Luckily for us, a young girl from Holland pointed us in the direction of one stand that apparently had the best chicken and rice in all of Singapore. It was so well known that Anthony Bourdain had formerly eaten there on his food network show. It was delicious. A perfect lunch, and only 3 sing dollars.

I spent a bit of the evening learning how to play "PURE," a ATV racing game for the X-Box. Carter was quite the instructor, showing me all the different techniques for doing tricks and getting bigger air. I ended up being pretty good and the two of us where able to beat a few of the levels (after about two dozen miserable and hilarious attempts).

Have a few things on the roster for tomorrow, so I will have another fun filled day in Singapore. I really am enjoying getting to know the city.

No comments: