Tuesday, December 9, 2008

A Fond Farewell to Europe and On the Road to Singapore

Well I have a couple of hours to kill before I even need to leave for the airport here in Frankfurt. Hopefully, though, I will be able to sleep on the over night flight. That would be awesome.

I have been having a great time in Frankfurt. I was fortunate enough to meet an awesome local guy, Joe, who has been showing me around the city giving me a bit of history along the way. We went to a big famous indoor market. He took me shoe shopping so he could get a new pair of black dress shoes and I did what I do best, personal shopper. We went to the Stadel Museum, a big art museum in Frankfurt. And finally he took me to a traditional German restaurant, where I ate the Tuesday special (Bratwurst, fried potatoes, and brussel sprouts). We enjoyed apple wine, and finished our meal with two apple desserts. It was amazing. Plus I got to go to one more Christmas Market here in Germany, because one can never see too many Christmas Markets.

It is a strange feeling to have my time in Europe coming to an end. It is a little ridiculous how fast it has gone by, and yet it all seems like it just happened yesterday. Leaving Dallas and flying to Madrid. Laying on the rocky beaches of the Cote d'Azur. Hiking through the hills of Cinque Terra. Sleeping on the street in Zagreb. Roasting in the Bathes of Budapest. The seven hour walking tour in Vienna. Missing a train to Prague and ending up in Poland. Being kicked out of the Sistine Chapel at the Vatican. Getting stuck on a random train platform in the middle of Italy. Enjoying a show in Bern that I didn't understand at all. The train strike in Lyon. Seeing Billy Elliot the night I got into London while my pack waited for me in the theatre coat check. Having Brazilian food in Brussels with Tarcisio. Seeing Zwarte Piet (Santa's slave, always done by a guy in black face) in a bar in Holland. Sitting in a bucket seat on the EuroStar to London afterforking over a fortune and promising them my first born child. Getting lost at a Christmas Market in Berlin. And preparing for the next leg of my journey while enjoying apple wine in Frankfurt. One can do a lot when on the road for three months.

Wow, and I have two more months left. Reading "Eat, Pray, Love" has been fun the past couple of days, comparing my journeys with Elizabeth Gilbert's. Plus it is educating me on whether I want to spend 10 days in a monastery in Malaysia. I don't know what I would call the first part of my trip if I were to write a similar book. WALK, maybe? SEE, possibly? I really haven't "eaten" my way across Europe. Although I enjoy food, I am not much of a lover or connoisseur of food. Unless I was to do a trip about eating my weight in oatmeal raisin cookies as I traversed the world, but I don't think that would be very smart or possible. I don't think the experience Gilbert had in Italy is any thing like what I have gone through the past three months. She seemed to clam down a bit more than I have. I am different now than I was when I started, but I haven't honestly enjoyed every minute of this trip so far. There have definitely been times when I wanted to turn around and go right home, but I have decided to fight on, trying to enjoy the experience in front of me. Gilbert loves food, so what she did in Italy was perfect for her. I think maybe if I was to do a journey like hers, I would have to watch theatre everyday for four months straight. I have come to realize on this trip how much I love what I do and how much I miss it. Being in London, watching shows every night, and having people to discuss it with was just an absolute joy for me. I felt at home again. I felt in my comfort zone.

The next two months will more than likely fly by. Not as much time, but just as many things to see, it will definitely go by in the blink of an eye. I am nothing but excited and feeling a bit adventurous.
Me with Sophie and Andrew (the kids I met in Vienna and ran into again on the streets of Prague) having a pint at a traditional Czech restaurant.
Nick and me in Regents Park in London. Note the cool eyeware.
Shelly, Lauren, and me at Covent Garden in London.
Me on the walking tour in Berlin. Try and find me.

No comments: