Saturday, December 6, 2008

Berlin to Frankfurt

I have spent the past couple of days in Berlin just relaxing and enjoying my time. I think a lot of the stress of travel finally just caught up to me the past week or so, and I needed to take a little break from sightseeing and aimlessly walking around a city for hours on end. Berlin might not have been the best place to do that, seeing as how it is such a lively and exciting place, but I decided to give into my exhaustion and simply take it easy.

Don't think I didn't see my fair share of sights, I did two walking tours, a bit of aimless walking, and went to a couple of Christmas markets, but I just didn't spend my entire day walking around. I also didn't go to any of the infamous techno or fetish clubs Berlin is so well known for, but maybe the next time I'll go.

I am slowly realizing that I am turning into a "granola lesbian," seeing as how a fun night in for me consists of cuddling up with a good book instead of going out to the biggest, loudest club. Does that mean I am getting old?

I have made it to Frankfurt today, and checked into a lovely hostel with good wifi. Calling American Airlines on Skype from the last place made me realize how terrible their wifi was, seeing as how the customer service people on the other end of the line could catch about 3 out of every five syllables I said. It didn't make for a lot of fun.

I am really looking forward to my time in Southeast Asia, not just because it is going to be warm, but I think it will be a good change of pace for me. Not as many "historic sights" to see. I did some research on activities and places to go while I was relaxing in Berlin, so I have a good idea of some of the things and places I wanted to go, plus a much better understanding of the geography. I didn't realize how close I would be to Borneo, in fact, until I saw Borneo on the map yesterday, I really just thought it was some made up fairy tale land that a person got to by flying to the second star to the right, changing planes, and going straight on 'til dawn. And Borneo has Orangutans, so I am totally going to see some awesome primates in their natural habitat. Definitely a reason to get out of bed early, sweet!

I remember Amelie's experience of putting up Christmas decorations in shorts and a t-shirt but now I see first hand why that was so incredible to her. I have definitely run across some really amazing Christmas Lights here in Germany, one that included an interesting (possibly the only good) use of rope light.

I am going to go find some dinner. I have started reading "Eat, Pray, Love" again. So it is inspiring me to eat some really delicious food.

No comments: