Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Arrived in Split, Croatia

Well I made it to Split safe and sound, on a train that I am pretty sure never exceeded 40 miles per hour. But it was a strange train ride because the train conductor, a woman in this case, that punches the hole in your ticket also served as the stewardess. She walked up and down the aisle the entire 6 hour train ride serving coffee, soda, and small sandwiches. I bought a sandwich and a Coke, at first I thought she said "50 Kuna" for the lot, and I thought "that seems a little steep for a Coke and two pieces of white bread with ham in the middle," but I was hungry. I gave her a 100kuna note and expected a quick 50kuna note back in change, but she didn't seem to have one available. After serving the other passengers, she returned with my change, and to my surprise and relief she had actually said "15 kuna."

Split seems like a lovely place although I haven't seen much since it was dark when I arrived. The hostel I am in, Silver Center Hostel, is great. A bunch of people were watching "The 40 year old Virgin" when I arrived, so I joined in the fun. A bit of advice for anyone traveling to Split. Make accommodation reservations before you arrive in Split. I did so because the same suggestion was given to me. I say this only because as soon as you step off the train a gaggle of elderly women stand awaiting the soul without a room. They all screech at you about their available rooms, but they tend to be overpriced and under accommodating.

On a totally different note, I just heard today from Kate, the girl I first met in the Madrid airport. She sent me some pictures from our time together in Madrid.
Kate and me at the Royal Palace



Me at the Plaza Mayor (for some reason my strong man face is the same as my pirate face)
Me & Colin walking to dinner in Madrid Dinner in Madrid

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Enjoying your trip through your eyes. Wow, such insight you have. I haven't seen your mom tap dance, BUT IT'S SOMETHING I REALLY WANT TO SEE. She is so cute!

I really like the pictures. Keep them coming. Vios con Dios.

Kathleen Duncan