Saturday, October 25, 2008

Another Day in Rome

Well, I went to the Vatican City today and got to see the Sistine Chapel. But, if you ever come to Rome, I warn you that everything attached to the Vatican has a dress code. I faintly remember someone telling me this but I was not thinking this morning when I was getting dressed, so I put on shorts and a sleeveless t-shirt because I didn't want to get hot again. The biggest faux pas in Catholic dress code is showing bare shoulders, apparently.

As I walked through the Vatican Museum and marveled at the incredible sculpture and modern art, I was filled with the anticipation of getting to sit and admire the marvelous frescos by Michelangelo. When I finally made it to the Sistine Chapel, I was staring up at the ceiling trying to find a comfortable place to sit and observe. You do not often have the opportunity to examine such fine art first hand, seeing the actual painting of Adam touching fingers with God. All of the sudden, I felt a tap on my shoulder and a security guard asked me if I had anything to put over my shoulders. Unfortunately I had left my mink stole in my other purse, so I wasn't prepared to wrap myself up in anything. Upon answering his question, with an answer he obviously didn't care for, I was asked to leave the Chapel. Yes, I was kicked out of the Sistine Chapel. Now I can say, without lying, "I have been kicked out of nicer places than this before." But the whole time the gentleman was telling me I had to leave since I was baring my erotic and sexy shoulders, I kept wanting to say, "Dude, look up! Everyone painted on the ceiling is NAKED!!!!" I held my tongue, though. The experience did, however, make me want to cry. An art student, in Rome, studying the work of one of the greats, forced to leave for dressing too provocatively. I also wanted to point out to the guard that Michelangelo himself, would have probably enjoyed seeing my bared shoulder (and bum, but [pun intended] that is another discussion).

The only thing that really made me mad about the whole incident was that no one until then told me that I was not dressed appropriately. I had gone through a security check point and bought a ticket. Both were occasions where I could have been at least told that I would not be able to enjoy the Sistine Chapel to the degree I was anticipating. Poor form on the Pope's part in my opinion. If the Pope wants me dressed a certain way, he could have at least had the decency to put a bouncer outside his club turning people away who don't live up to his aesthetic standard. Poor form indeed!

After that, I decided not to risk standing in the long line to go to St. Peter's Basilica only to be turned away. It seemed like a pointless waste of time to be rejected twice in one day by the Catholics. Not that I hate all Catholics, just the ones in Vatican City.

I decided, instead, to spend the rest of my day using the brand new smudging stick I bought at the art store yesterday. That was a fun experience trying to explain to the non-English speaking girl at the art store what a smudging stick was. Several times she offered me the same eraser, and I kept saying no, but finally after drawing a quick doodle for her, and using my finger to smudge it, she figured it out. We both shared a good laugh about it while I paid.

I am heading to Florence tomorrow, I am thinking about catching a later train in the day so I can go back to St. Peter's in a tuxedo and possibly make it through the line. But who knows, maybe they will say the cummerbund and bow tie combination I am wearing is too offensive to go through the pearly gates.

Ciao

No comments: